River to Well, based in Lawrence, Kansas, is an open competition for amateur and professional photographers. 100% of the entry fees and photo sales go toward building, repairing and maintaining wells through Vox United. Since 2009, Vox has given over 70,000 people in sub-Saharan Africa access to clean, safe water.
There are 4 divisions (under 14, student, amateur (non-student), professional) and 5 categories:
• PEOPLE: Individuals or groups engaged in daily life, festivals, ceremonies, etc.
• PLACES: Landscape, architecture, monuments, etc.
• CULTURAL TRACES: Still life of utilitarian objects, icons, artifacts, etc., which are unique and/or intrinsic to a particular culture
• FLORA & FAUNA: Plants and animals
• BLACK & WHITE/MONOCHROMATI
All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. CST, FRIDAY, September 30, 2011. Physical entries must be submitted and be accompanied by an official competition entry form and entry fee(s).
$5 / entry
Student / Amateur Non-Student / Professional
1 entry — $15
2 entries — $25
3 entries — $30
4 entries or more — $35 + $5 for every additional entry over 4
For more information and to enter competition, click <<RivertoWell.com>>
The winning photographs will be exhibited at events in Lawrence, Denver, and Houston. The Lawrence event will be the Final Friday weekend of October 28 and 29 – at the Signs of Life gallery downtown. Then, the weekend of November 4, is the Denver showing. And the next weekend, the weekend of November 11, is the Houston showing.